Sunday, October 21, 2012

Nourishing Sweet Almond Oil Lotion

Here's another of my anti-dry-winter-skin experiments. :) I got the recipe from my sister-in-law and added some fun scents to make it my own.


You will need:

1/2 cup sweet almond oil, or else 1/4 cup sweet almond oil and 1/4 cup grape seed oil
(after I took the picture I decided to use half sweet almond oil and half grape seed oil, so that's why the grape seed oil isn't in the picture. Either way works well)
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup beeswax (either grated or in pellets)
1 teaspoon vitamin E oil (optional)
Essential oils or fragrance oils for scent (optional) 
She told me you can also add 2 tablespoons of a body butter (shea, coco, mango, etc.) if you'd like, but I didn't in this batch. Just another option. :)


Put the almond oil, coconut oil, and beeswax in a glass jar. If you're using a butter, add it at this time too. 


Fill a small saucepan halfway with water, bring to a boil, and set the jar into the water (like a double boiler). Boil and stir until all the beeswax has melted. 


Add vitamin E oil (I have 1000 i.u. tablets and it takes about 4 tablets to get a teaspoon of oil).


Add any essential oils or fragrance oils. I usually stick with essential oils to keep my products 100% natural, but this time I used a fragrance oil I got from Hobby Lobby along with my vanilla oil. It was a lovely combination!!!!


Let sit and harden. 


I stuck mine in the fridge to help it harder a little faster. 


Once it's set all the way thru, scoop it out of the jar and into a bowl or stand mixer. 


Whip on high with either an electric hand mixer or a stand mixer until light and creamy. 


Keep whipping until there are no hard little lumps left. 


Put into a small container and use as needed. :) A little goes a long way with this lotion. It's very different than the whipped body butter I posted before...it leaves you a little oily, but it absorbs quickly and is definitely more of a lotion than a body butter. I really like it...it feels so light and soft and makes my skin feel so hydrated and nourished...plus I LOVE the scent combination I used!! Give it a try. :)